Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 9: Saving our sisters

Day 9 miles to/from work: 26.8
Total miles for S4S: 251.2 




I had a lovely send-off by the Travel Committee this morning. As I started my commute, six Canadian geese were poring over maps of Florida and looked up briefly to wish me godspeed and safe biking. The temperature had dropped into the low 50s, the skies were overcast with clumps of darkly irritable clouds,  and the wind was not quite brutal, but definitely wicked. I could have used a bit of Florida myself. Instead I focused on the meaning of each pedal stroke and what we're accomplishing here.

First let me thank you yet again for supporting me and, through this oddball project, Dane County Humane Society (DCHS). Almost everyone knows that DCHS saves homeless and injured animals, which is of critical importance. But did you know that they also save people? One of these programs, Sheltering Animals of Abuse Victims (SAAV), provides temporary and safe shelter for the pets of domestic violence victims. "Hey," you say, "that's a really nice thing to do and all; but how does that save people?" 


Up to 40% of abuse victims who own pets delay leaving the situation or do not leave at all because of their very justified fear that the abuser will harm or kill the animal. The connection between domestic abuse and animal cruelty is undisputed.

What alternatives are left to victims of domestic violence when they are ready to seek refuge but have no safe haven for their pets? If they stay, they continue to expose themselves, their children, and their pets to ongoing violence. If they leave without the pets, those animals are at high risk of injury or death from the abuser. Knowing this, the victim often stays in the relationship. With SAAV, made possible by the collaboration of DCHS and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS), a woman can know that her animals are in a safe place and does not have to choose between their safety and seeking safety for herself. That is how it saves people.

Thank you for your pledge/donation to DCHS, which will help perpetuate SAAV and other important programs. If you would like to do more to support SAAV, they are always looking for volunteers. When I emailed Julie Lussier, Development & Outreach Manager for DCHS, asking if she had any special information about SAAV, she replied, "We have a high need for people that are interested in fostering for our SAAV program.

Oftentimes we need folks that do not already have pets at home, so that is a very unique foster opportunity. Anything you can say about that need would be great." I'm saying it. Email Julie if you can help. Again, thank you for your support in every form that might take.

The ride home was all blue skies and tailwind. May it ever be so.

4 comments:

  1. Makes me wish I were in Madison so I could foster for the cause. I'll have to see if Austin Humane Society has anything like this...or if it could be started. I also need to talk to them about people taking the dogs for runs. Although their location is not necessarily ideal for that. As I volunteer more often, I'll start brining these ideas up if they don't already have any these programs already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Liz, you are a hero in my book! Always concerned about the those that are in need and their pets. My daughter Alicia (the one in Florida) has fostered a huskie and a german shepherd and they are both very lucky to have been found by her. She owns them now (has for several years) and her heart is as big as yours when it comes to these creatures of God. She can't foster any more, as each time, she falls in love with them and can't bear to let them go to a home that might not love them enough. (this is what happened to her huskie, Tex) So once again, thanks for all you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie & Dorene, thank you both SO much for your unflagging support in this. I love your comments, and your love & encouragement warm my heart and toes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very excited to know my donation will be put to such good use. Thanks for the opportunity, Liz. Without you, I would certainly have missed this one. Ride on, girl!

    ReplyDelete