Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 10: I feel pretty, oh so pretty...

Day 10 miles to/from work: 27.4
Total miles for S4S: 278.6 


No one who rides a bike worries about looking good while riding—at least no one who seriously rides a bike and has a commitment to self preservation. Not even Lance looks good in a bike helmet; and if you bike without one, you might as well  wear a big, flashing neon sign that says, "I am a moron, and my greatest dream is to go on a Medevac flight." Bike shorts, while providing padding that is deeply appreciated, nevertheless offer a preview of what it is to wear Depends, with the added bonus of tan lines just above the knees. Likewise, bike jerseys look generally dorky and make it possible to have a coordinated "farmer's tan" for your arms.
This morning when Silver Beauty and I took off, the temperature had fallen to the 30s; and the additional layers of clothing further guaranteed that I would not have to admonish anyone, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." Over my bike shorts I wore insulated cycling tights, guaranteed to protect from wind and cold. On top I wore three layers of varying weights, topped by my favorite screaming yellow Pearl Izumi windbreaker. My head and ears were warmed by a neon orange stocking cap, topped with the ever-fashionable helmet. Fingers and toes are the hardest to keep warm on the bike. I had stretchy gloves under my bike gloves, with my "lobster gloves" tucked into a pannier as a back-up.


My best-ever find for cold-weather biking:  Gator neoprene socks. They are the closest thing to putting little electric blankets around your feet. Despite a north wind compounding the chill of the temperature, I was armed and ready for another morning of Bicycle Battle!

Sorry for the same refrain, but geez my legs felt tired. It doesn't mean anything good or bad (at least when I'm not cranky), just that I go slower. I still enjoyed the ride, particularly the added dimensions afforded by the weather. For example, with the lake water warmer than the atmosphere, Lake Monona put on a little show with steam sashaying upward in the sunlight. And with colder air on my face, my nose ran like a Kenyan.

By halfway through the inbound commute, the wind died down, the sun came out, and the sky was so clear I felt like I was under a bright blue bowl.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that after the morning bike ride, followed by 8 hours of work, the tired effect would be more pronounced for the trip home. Not so. There is some odd recharging effect that takes place during work hours in the battery pack fueling my legs. The homeward-bound trek always feels so much easier than the morning ride in. Maybe it's just because there is markedly more downhill grade. Whatever it is, I'm grateful; and I'll take it. Although I'm physically fatigued from biking more cumulative miles in the past two weeks than I had in the previous year, today was no exception for those final uplifting miles of the day. I also had fun dropping by REI, just a couple blocks off my route, to pick up some rain jackets I ordered to see if one will work better than my current leaky, roasting, tortuous excuse for a breathable rain barrier. This continues to be a wonderful adventure that enriches me daily. But it's also good to be home, and I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. Thanks for being on the ride.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Lady of Forever Homes......I am just ready to retire and my day was filled with working at my computer mostly, but playing with Chewy (our adorable Cavachon) and our newest member to the family, Charlie! Charlie is a Border Collie that my daughter Tori and family just got and is filled with more energy than we ALL (including Chewy) know what to do with! So here you are with 26+ miles of biking and I am claiming "Tired" from chasing these two little tykes around off and on all day!!! So wrong! You go girl.......Hugs and Kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.....so sorry....27+ miles today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Goretex still the best water-proof, breathable barrier? I know it's expensive, but I've always heard it was the best. We used it in all of our firefighting gear. Keep it up. You're an inspiration to MANY more than you may think.

    ReplyDelete