Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 1: Rough duty absorbing all that exhilaration

*Miles to/from work: 26.6
Miles to/from appt: 10
Total miles today: 36.6
Total for S4S: 36.6


My morning started a little before 6:00 with the dulcet tones of NPR from my clock radio; but I had gotten to bed too late last night to appreciate them in the least. Shut up, shut up, let me sleep. They did not. Nor did our dog Jazz. Nor did my conscience. Jazz really needed a run before I left for the day, so I finally roused myself, threw on running clothes and shoes, and Jazz and I hit the road for a 3-mile run. Gorgeous morning, and the first sweatfest of the day.

I showered (yes, a lot of biking ahead of me, but nicer to start with fresh sweat), quickly went through my get-ready-for-work routine—except that I don’t usually dress in biking gear and load two huge waterproof panniers (saddle bags to non-cyclists—note the shadow pictures: the big bulgy things you might have mistaken for my thighs or butt are the panniers) with my work clothes, purse, lunch, work papers, books, grand piano, china set, sewing machine… oh, I guess maybe not quite that much, but it comes to about 30 pounds of gear.

The “ride” starts with loading my commuter bike, Silver Beauty, into the car for a two-mile drive to the bike path. I used to bike it, but it is a dangerous stretch of road; and after a few close calls, I invoked the “safety clause”. Park the car, unload the bike and panniers, put on my helmet and bike gloves, winch the panniers onto the bike, and we’re off.

Ever since I decided to do this 2-month Sweatin' for Shelter project, I’ve had dreams about it, I’ve felt a little nervous about it, and I’ve also been really excited to do it. It’s not like I haven’t biked the route or the distance before. But to do it every day, plan ahead every night, have everything ready to go, always be organized, allow enough time every morning, and then pedaling every work day—for two whole monthsit’s daunting. It is also thrilling. What adventures lie on that path, what wonders will unfold, what personal transformation will transpire? The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first spin of the pedal. And it felt great to start.
The scenery on my ride is gorgeous: wildlife sanctuaries, lakes, all that is Madison. But the best part was the companionship. I could feel you there. Yes, you. You, my friend, who posted an inspiring attagirl!-type message on the S4S Facebook wall. You, who pledged to DCHS. You, who sent me an email that read like a cheer. You who expressed your interest and support. You, who are reading this right now. It is all support, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I felt like I had an army of grace  (Mark and Marina) accompanying me on the bike this morning, and it was euphoric. I cannot thank you enough for whatever way you are “being there” and “attending” this project. YOU rock!
I thought of James Mills (one of the wonderful S4S supporters) of the Joy Trip Project, and “Joy Trip Project” is the quintessential definition of this experience. But enough of this gooshy rhapsodizing stuff. Let’s talk about sweat.

Today was assurance that the project is well named. I see people who bike to work in business suits, dresses, nice work clothes. They placidly pedal, skimming along with the smoothness of swans on a lake. Who the hell are these people? I furiously pedal (with no real speed to show for it), and I SWEAT. That seems to be my nature, but today it was assisted with temperatures that rose to 94 degrees with 99 heat index.

By the time I got to work, I was drenched. I now carry a small towel, waterless cleaning gunk, spray stuff—anything that will de-sweat me—everywhere. I immediately went to the ladies room. Out of the wet biking clothes, into something that looked somewhat professional. No, not even that. Perhaps it elevated me to the appearance of a quasi-non-homeless person. But I didn’t care. After that phenom ride, I had endorphins buzzing around that couldn’t be reproduced by the best cup of coffee. I worked like a fiend, wired for sound, cookin’ with gas, rocket-propelled. Happy.

Then I had a mid-day appointment. Back to bike clothes. Back on the bike for 5 miles. Dashed into a bathroom with towel and cleaning gunk, changed to dry clothes. Appointment. Back into bike clothes. Sweated another 5 miles back to work. Ladies room. De-sweated. “Wash, rinse, repeat” is taking on a whole new meaning. Even with extreme ablutions and hygienic efforts, I felt like I’d been marinaded in sweat. I spent the afternoon making sure that any contact I had with colleagues was via email.

You’ve probably already predicted that at the end of the workday, it was back into the bike clothes, reloaded the panniers, back onto Silver Beauty. My route goes right through the UW-Madison campus, and tonight was the Badgers' opening game. Dear Lord. For about ½ mile, MY bike path was a sea of red, with fans in varying stages of drunkenness walking 18 abreast. (Had I not been on my bike, I probably would have been one of them.)
Just because I believe in no-kill animal shelters does not mean I hold that vision for all of my fellow humans. However, I restrained my natural inclinations and did not mow anyone down.

FINALLY: Eleven hours and 36.6 miles after I left, back to the car. Then home, followed by major hydration and the best bath of my entire life. Now it’s time for an athletic recovery drink. Hmmm… red wine or white?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*All miles via bicycle

1 comment: